I have several EE bonds and am not sure if I should keep them or cash them in. NO, I have not been paying the?

I have several EE bonds and am not sure if I should keep them or cash them in. NO, I have not been paying the interest on them, so if I cash them, I know I have to pay for the interest. If they have reached their maturity, should I cash them in? What is the point of hanging onto them, if any? They are dated 1989 - 1992. Would appreciate any info on bonds that you can provide.

Answer:
Interest on EE savings bonds is not taxable at the State level. But the Feds tax the accumulated interest the year you redeem them.

Your bonds stop paying interest 30 years after issuance. Right now the interest is probably about 3.5% - something you will never get from a bank. And banks are not likely to be offering anywhere close to this figure for some time yet, probably not until 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment